Today’s graphic market is more competitive than ever. The need is great to be on top of the pack with adequate skills and information that is up to date. There are skills that are an absolute requirement for the serious graphic design artist, whether creating design for their own projects or for others. There are some basic tools and skills that are needed to have what it takes to produce graphic design that will meet this ever-changing world’s insatiable desire for more and more graphics.
Here is a list of the basic skills needed to meet those needs.
1. Adobe Photoshop: In the industry of graphic design, even the experts are constantly learning. They are on top of the latest and greatest and experimenting with what can be done. They learn through tutorials, seminars, and books. Adobe Photoshop, a pixel based photo manipulation product, is considered the foundation of graphic design. To become proficient, it is imperative that you spend a pre-determined amount of time each week to learn new techniques.
The selection tool offers some complex photo manipulation and design. This product will teach you the technique of layering and adjusting layers, masks and channels. These powerful tools allow for photo repairs such as correcting the colours, scratches, and blemishes.
2. Adobe Illustrator: This program provides graphic design https://blueskygraphics.co.uk/ through vector-based graphics. For logo graphics or any other design where crisp, clean artwork is essential, this is the tool of choice. This detail graphic illustrator gives the designer the ability to create poster work and any design print ready.
This program offers such skills as bezier curves, converting a bitmap to a vector image, multi-step gradients, and converting graphic images with text. Like any powerful program, it will take some time to gain proficiency. However, the time spent learning these skills is worth every minute. Invest the time and you will reap great benefits.
3. Quark Express or Adobe InDesign: These programs are what is referred to as page layout programs. No matter what your final product will become, your work area is the page. So, it needs a layout. No matter what type of graphics or text are needed, or if the product will be a book, sales copy, brochures or a magazine, this type of high-end layout program is essential.
To become proficient in these products your skill level must be at the level of creating Master Pages. When this level of skill is attained you will be able to create a 32-page catalogue. This is achieved by understanding how to control text with and around images. This would include setting up the document for the text to flow around and sometimes in the images.
This program will also assist you in setting up pre-press copy and offset printing. If these concepts are foreign to you, go to your local print shop and ask them for a tour. Be sure to test drive this program before you do so you can be ready with a list of questions as you see the process through the eyes of the local print shop. This can be very valuable.
4. Flash: This is a program that enables you to give your product that professional look. Flash is now installed on twice as many computers as other video platform products. When Flash Player is available you can deploy a video platform on the Internet. As the Web becomes more video-basted the need to have a solid understanding of Flash, is imperative and urgent. This program will enable you to create simple animation, and key frames. As you learn these skills you will be empowered though knowledge and skill to be able to make flash movies and interactive Web content and interactions.
5. Typography: This is one of the most important skills that will determine if you will be a good or an excellent graphic designer. This skill is about the type, the clarity and appropriateness of the type that must accompany the text. It is essential that you have a font management system on your computer system. You must know the difference between True Type, PostScript and OpenType fonts. Be sure to get a font reference guide and resource book. This will increase your typography skills to the expert level.